Pentagon halts all border wall constructions paid by military funds
Kathmandu, May 2. A US Defense Department spokesperson has said that the Biden administration would cancel all construction on the border wall that was paid for using redirected military funds.
The Trump administration had used its defense budget for the construction of the wall as the Congress denied appropriate money for the project in 2019.
Deputy Pentagon Spokesman Jamal Brown said, “Consistent with [President Biden’s] proclamation, the Department of Defense is proceeding with canceling all border barrier construction projects paid for with funds originally intended for other military missions and functions such as schools for military children, overseas military construction projects in partner nations, and the National Guard and Reserve equipment account.”
Rep. John Garamendi, D-Calif., chair of the Readiness Subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee, criticized the Trump administration’s diversion of funds, adding that the decision was a victory for their troops, their nation, and their constitution.
Biden has commissioned a 60-day review to examine how military funds had been redirected toward wall construction, but the review dragged on past the deadline.
It is immediately not clear if the border projects will be permanently halted or be kept on pause.
- This Week
- This Month